Important Update – Pursuant to the Fairness Hearing held on October 17, 2011, the Court granted Final Approval of this Settlement.
Overview Of The Settlement
This class action lawsuit claimed the high intensity discharge ("HID") headlights on 2006-2009 Prius vehicles can shut off unexpectedly while the vehicles are being driven. Toyota denied the claims.
The lawsuit has been resolved through a settlement which provides benefits that include:
- Toyota's New Vehicle Limited Warranty has been extended for HID headlight repairs. The warranty will now cover HID headlight repairs until 5 years or 50,000 miles pass from the original date of purchase or lease of the Prius.
- Cash reimbursements will be available for past repairs of the HID headlight bulbs and HID electronic control unit (also known as the ECU). To receive a cash payment, you must have mailed in a Claim Form and a receipt. Cash reimbursements will be made only if the Court approves the Settlement.
What Are My Options?
- MAIL A CLAIM FORM - The only way to get cash reimbursement. You do not need to submit a Claim Form to take advantage of the extended warranty. The deadline to submit a Claim Form was May 30, 2011.
- ASK TO BE EXCLUDED - Get no reimbursement and no extended warranty. Keep rights. This was the only option that allowed you to ever be part of any other lawsuit about the legal claims in this case. You must have mailed your exclusion request postmarked no later than July 6, 2011.
- COMMENT OR OBJECT - Tell the Court why you like or dislike the settlement. Your objection must have been recieved no later than July 6, 2011.
- DO NOTHING - Warranty is extended, but get no payment and lose rights. If you did not mail in a Claim Form, you will not receive money. If you did nothing, you will also give up any rights to sue separately about the same or similar legal claims resolved in this lawsuit.
Please consult the Notice for more details on your options.
Pursuant to the Fairness Hearing held on October 17, 2011, the Court granted Final Approval of this Settlement.
For More Information
For more information visit www.GirardGibbs.com/Prius.asp or call Toll-Free 1 (800) 746-3614.